Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cafe Select

The other day my friend and I decided to go for a relaxing post-exam lunch downtown. We decided to try out Cafe Select, located just off Jasper Ave and 106th next to Marvel Collage.

From the outside Cafe Select does not look like much, it does have a cute little covered patio in the front that would be nice during the summer, but given that it was cold and rainy it did not have much of an appeal. Upon entering the restaurant however, we were surprised to see how nice it was inside. It was dark, had dark hard wood accents, small crystal chandeliers and was smaller than expected but yet filled with tables of downtown workers on their lunch break.



Their menu I found was rather small but it provided an assortment of salads, some sandwiches, pasta, and some steak entrees. I had the ham and cheddar with caramelized onions on a baguette (14$) and my friend had the chevre noir and balsamic fig salad (15$).

When my meal arrived I was pleasantly surprised to see that it came with a large amount of shoe string fries and a salad, which I did not expect. The baguette was chewy and soft, not the typical French verity, but it worked well with the ham and melted cheese.



My companion enjoyed her salad and commented on how good the balsamic figs were. She said there was not as much chevre noir as she had expected but that the strength of the cheese made up for the quantity.

Overall we enjoyed our meals. Perhaps a little over our budget for an everyday lunch, but it was a nice place with a lot of character that would be good for a date or a glass of wine. Cafe Select on Urbanspoon